First Annual Winter Dance to be held in February

The first annual winter formal, “Snowcoming” is scheduled to be held on Saturday Feb 1st from 7:00-10:00 pm.

Both senior and sophomore cabinet have been organizing this event together. The event that was brought up last year by a Student Government member. When the idea for the dance became popular, it was proposed to student activities director Jessica Pritzker and became a concrete plan for the year. The theme for the dance, “Snowcoming” was also voted on by homeroom representatives. According to senior cabinet sponsor Laurie Shapiro, it is a formal dance.

“I believe people will come to this dance. There is no reason for them not to. The dance will be everything anyone wants. Its cheaper than homecoming and will have a DJ that will surely not disappoint. Over 700 people voted yes for a winter dance, so its not unreasonable to not expect them to show up,” senior class president Saleh Siddique said.

For the last two years, Niles West has not held any winter dances. After Homecoming in September, the only anticipated formal dance was Prom, which was only allowed to juniors and seniors. Up until 2012, Niles West used to have the Turnabout dance in February, around the time of Valentine’s Day, which required a girl to ask a boy, rather than the other way around. Due to its unpopularity and low attendance rate, the school decided to end it. This year, the idea for a winter dance sparked up again, and students took the matter into their own hands.

“Back then we were not able to enjoy the dance, and many people began to miss having a dance between homecoming and prom. So this winter dance will hopefully satisfy,” Siddique said.

Some students think that the dance could be fun, but it probably wouldn’t be very popular this year because it is so new.

“I’m sure people would go because who doesn’t love dances? But it just won’t be as big a thing as Homecoming,” senior Anisha Mannacheril said.

Others, however, do think it would be enjoyable and a nice addition to the year.

“I believe it will serve as a great way to start the semester and have fun with your friends,” sophomore Soretti Donkaa said.

In order to publicize the dance, both senior and sophomore cabinets have been making flyers to hang up around the school, along with a video to show students after winter break. According to sophomore cabinet sponsor Jason Stanford, this is an event that students should come to because it will prove to be a nice experience.

“We hope that this dance will be successful,” Stanford said, “We are hoping that our advertisements will encourage students to attend the dance.”

Tickets will go on sale for 12 dollars for individuals and 20 dollars if bought for two.