Freshman Friday: Mirsad Mackic

Freshman Friday: Mirsad Mackic

Freshman Mirsad Mackic does many things on the basketball court – he’s quick, athletic, handles the ball well and is assertive. Mackic plays basketball at a high level, which is why he’s accomplished a not too common feat: playing on the varsity basketball team as only a freshman.

Playing basketball starting at a young age, Mackic has had the support of his dad throughout his young playing career.

“I first picked up a basketball around the age of 6, but I first started playing in basketball leagues around 4th grade,” he said. “My dad has always been there for me to tell me what’s right and wrong and he’s the one who’s been pushing me in the right direction.”

Organized basketball is where players start to gain recognition and that’s exactly where Mackic has elevated his game.

“The last couple of years I’ve been playing in the top AAU tournaments in the country,” he said.

Getting to the point of playing at the highest level in high school doesn’t just require talent, but it also requires hard work. Mackic has known this for years, which is why he practices–and practices a lot.

“I have been working my hardest all pre-season long about three hours a day, six times a week. Waking up at six in the morning to go to the gym with my coach and run through a bunch of intense workouts,” Mackic said.

Head Coach Bob Williams has noticed the long, strenuous hours that Mackic has put in, and knows he can go far if he continues to do the same.

“He has potential to play in college if he continues to work hard both on the court and in the classroom,” he said.

Longtime friend and former teammate freshman Buraq Sukhera has witnessed Mackic’s intense workouts in his quest to get better.

“He’s the hardest working guy in the school,” he said. “I went to the gym once and he just did a three hour workout nonstop and I told him ‘Man that seems tough’’ and he said ‘No, that was just a rest day.’”

So, what was it that Mackic showcased that had the varsity coaches put him on the roster? Mackic thinks it’s simple. All he had to do was display what he has in his arsenal.

“I think Coach Williams just saw that I was capable to play with these guys, I had the skills, and that I would fit in,” he said.

Coach Williams knows that Mackic has the drive to be great.

“Mirsad is a very skilled basketball player who is committed to being successful in basketball,” he said.

Knowing your flaws is a key part of becoming the greatest you can be. Mackic didn’t have a great jumper and he has made strides in that area. One thing he still needs to improve on is his voice.

“Throughout the last couple of years I’ve become a great shooter,” he said. “One of my weaknesses is being vocal on the court. Since I’m a point guard, you have to be very vocal and I’m not used to that.”

Sukhera believes that Mackic will do whatever it takes to get better vocally.

“He’ll get vocal if he needs to, he’ll do what he needs to do to be the best and that’s just how he is,” he said.

Being an underclassmen, Mackic is going have to look up to many more experienced players. However, his teammates are making the transition to the big stage seamless for the freshman.

“[The upperclassmen] are all great, nice people; throughout the first couple of weeks they haven’t been giving me a hard time, which I was expecting. They’re making it easy and as fun as possible for me,” he said.

Williams thinks Mackic’s abilities all translate well into playing point guard.

“He handles the ball very well and has a good feel for playing point guard. He knows when to be aggressive and look to score and when to set up the offense,” he said.

Mackic has been on a long road to get to where he’s at, but he acknowledges that the work is no where near done.

“[I have to be] working hard in practices and showing coach that I’m capable of playing big minutes in games and outworking the upperclassmen in practice,” he said.

Mackic and the boys varsity basketball team are in action next tonight, at home, against rival Maine South at 7:30.