Freshman Friday: Michael Gunartt

Freshman Friday: Michael Gunartt

Walking down the halls, it’s hard not to spot out fifteen year old freshman, Michael Gunartt. His 6’0 tall stance stands out more than anything, but it’s his compelled drive to succeed that gets him noticed by his teachers, coaches, and friends.

When Gunartt was four years old, his father encouraged him to start playing baseball starting in Hamlin Park Baseball Association in Chicago, while he grew up in Logan Square. There, he played till he was ten and played positions first base and outfield, just like his father did in high school. After he played for over half his life at Hamlin Park, he was inspired to play travel baseball in order to really reach his goals of becoming a better player.

One of his coaches, Lou Collier, who played for the MLB from 1997-2004 once told Michael over two years of being his coach that he has talent, and if he worked on his game, he will play far.

Unfortunately, Michael experienced a somber experience with another one of his retired MLB coaches, Lee Musgraves.  He was with him through when he was only his first travel team, the Stallions, then proceeded on to the Stars, and was with him up until his current travel team, White Sox Ace, which totaled in three years of coaching Gunartt. But sadly, when Gunartt was twelve, Musgraves died of prostate cancer.

“I felt as if he was the main person to make me become a better player. He inspired me as a coach because I really liked him and had known him for so long, on and off the field since his grandson was my best friend. His death made me work harder as a player because everyday I played for him,” Gunartt says.

But like the quote says, “what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger.” Gunartt continues to push himself, whether it was joining football this year, spraining his ACL four months ago, but still goes to workouts every single day at Niles West, and outside of school.

“When I sprained my MCL months ago, I had to miss baseball workouts because I had to work on getting my strength back. It affected my ability and made me feel weaker. But at West I’ve been going to football workouts everyday doing squats, benching, curling, doing pull-ups and leg presses- basically trying to obtain agility for my lower body.” Gunartt states.

Although baseball season seems so long away, Gunartt has one goal in mind and one goal only: to play professional. And with baseball workouts in Ho Chunk from 6-10 three days a week, he’s gradually getting back his strength and is never going to let that dream go.

“I feel like people underestimate since I just moved to this area last year from Chicago, so I never got to play for any feeder team. But, I plan on getting a scholarship for baseball in college and hopefully get drafted into the MLB. I want to look good for the people, I want to make people see me want to play.”

With over sixty baseball trophies, time spent in Puerto Rico, Florida, Arkansas and Indiana for tournaments, and retired MLB coaches telling him he can go far, it looks like we’ll be seeing Niles West very own in a few short years on the big field.