BREAKING NEWS: Students React to ‘Chocolate Factory’ Prom Theme

BREAKING NEWS: Students React to Chocolate Factory Prom Theme

When junior cabinet announced last week that this year’s prom theme was “A Night at the Chocolate Factory,” most students embraced the Willy Wonka-esque theme.

“All girls love chocolate so all the girls are really happy, and it’s really out of the box and different than just ‘A Night Under the Stars’ or ‘Stairway to Heaven’ or all of those cliche themes,” senior Taylor Hoffman said.  “I think it’ll be really cute if they get good decorations.”

This year’s prom is scheduled to be held Saturday, Apr. 26.

Junior cabinet played an instrumental role in planning the theme. According to junior cabinet president Cassie Bergman, it is similar to the movie “Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.”

“While it [the theme] is very similar to the movie ‘Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory,’ that is not what we were going for. It is more of a candy theme than anything. We are taking various aspects from the movie (such as songs and decorations) to incorporate in this year’s theme, however there will be no chocolate rivers or Oompa Loompas at this year’s prom, unless you’d like to come dressed as one,” Bergman said.

Bergman further says the idea seemed elementary at first but was adapted to be appropriate for high school.

“[Junior] Rebekah Bender and I actually came up with the theme a year ago on the bus on our way home from school. We were throwing around some crazy ideas and one of us said ‘Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.’  At the time, we were kidding, because it seemed very elementary, however, over the past year we have molded it into a more high school appropriate theme,” Bergman said.

Golden tickets will be sold in place of regular tickets in order to incorporate the theme.

“I think it’s unique and the whole golden ticket idea is really cute. I hope we get a chocolate fountain and have a whole table full of candy and treats,” senior Gopi Patel said.

Senior Armeen Sayani is also hoping for candy.

“I think it’s a fun theme. Some people think it’s childish, but I think it’s nice to have something different. I feel like the decorations are going to be really colorful and the colors of all the girl’s dresses will complement nicely. I also hope there’s a lot of candy at the dance,” Sayani said.

Senior Hubert Szelag, however, believes this theme is weird.

“Are we in eighth grade? That’s so weird. Willy Wonka? What are we supposed to dress up as? Candy Canes? That’s so weird. You have to match the theme,” Szelag said.

Bergman thinks prom will be successful this year.

“I think this year’s prom theme will be very successful, and I’m excited to see how everyone reacts to it. It’s definitely something different in terms of prom themes. However, it’s ultimately up to the upperclassmen to get what they’d like out of it. It can be a romantic night at the chocolate factory with your special someone, or it can be a night at the chocolate factory with your buds eating all the candy that you can get your hands on. Either way, it’s going to be a really fun night, and I’m having a blast planning it,” Bergman said.

Senior Rebecca LaPaglia agrees with Bergman.

“They can make it work they just have to incorporate things from the movie. It’s better than anything I’ve heard before.”