Niles West’s MSA Hosts Second Annual Ramaday

Twin Tuesday: The Antonow Sisters

Twin Tuesday: The Antonow Sisters

It’s Friday and the 5th period bell just rang. Walking into the Lit Center, there’s two girls sitting at a table towards the back. They have the same hair color, eye color, and style. They’re either tutoring someone who has just asked for help or talking to their friends. Of course, it’s either senior Anna or Zuzu Antonow.

Born on December 8, 1995, Zuzu being older by three minutes, the Antonow twins have been inseparable ever since. Raised in a polish family, they have kept their culture very close to them.

At school, the Antonow twins are always together whether it’s walking down the hall or even being in the same class. Having only two different classes from each other, they help each other out and are both equal academically. They even play the same sports- swimming during the fall and soccer in the spring.

“Anna and Zuzu are SUPER competitive with each other. Whenever we swim for time, they always compare times and try to beat each other. But they know when to have a little fun. Our lane is usually the lane that ends up joking around and laughing hysterically in between sets,” said good friend and senior Barbara Magiera.

“We’ve been playing on the same team throughout all of high school,” said the Antonow twins.

Many people (myself included) automatically thought the Antonow sisters were identical twins. However, they are actually fraternal, despite how identical they may look.

Even if they do look exactly alike, their close friends and also themselves find each other more different than alike. Zuzu is more out going in pubic, while Anna is more shy and quiet. Zuzu likes skiing and Anna like snowboarding. Anna has braces, and Zuzu does not. There are little things that make the Antonow twins different, even their facial features.

“We see differences in each other more than anyone else. Sometimes we think were so different that we could be called siblings instead of twins,” said Anna.

Having fourteen other twins in this year’s graduating class, the Antonow twins tells us what makes them different from the rest of the sets of twins.

“Other Niles West twins have different cultures, and we have a heavy polish culture in our household. We seem to be more together, and always doing stuff and walking together in the hallways,” said Zuzu.

All of their friends know them as “Anna and Zuzu,” and not “Anna” and “Zuzu.”

“Well I have known them for so long it seems as if anywhere I go they come along. They’re always together, sometimes even holding hands in the hallway which is super cute. It’s as if some of my friends and I are family with the Antonow twins” said close friend and senior Maddie Wozny.

With only a semester left of high school, the Antonow twins are looking into college together. They have about 12 schools that are the same and especially looking into the University of Denver or Miami. If they had to choose, they would go together to college for financial scholarships and to be able to help each other while they are away from home.

“Having a twin going to the same college as you gets you qualified for scholarships and grants. Even though it depends on ACT scores, were both equally the same academically,” said the Antonow twins.

“We’ve always been asked what’s it like being a twin, but we don’t know because we don’t know what’s it like without having a twin. It’s like you have a BFF 24/7,” said the Antonow twins.