Niles West’s MSA Hosts Second Annual Ramaday

Boys Track and Field 2011 Preview

Senior shot putter Mike Leftakes competes in a Niles North track meet at West on Friday, Feb. 25. West placed 4th. PHOTO by Nate Schapmann

Did you know that the Niles West Track team is the defending state champions in not only the 4×1 Meter Relay, but the 4×2 Meter Relay as well? While it’s true that our Track team did extraordinary last year, they look to be even more successful this year. I had the opportunity to sit down with the head coach, Chris Vivone–and here’s what he had to say about this season.

NWN: What are some of the team’s goals this year?
Vivone: We have quite a few, but they include winning conference, winning sectionals, getting a trophy at state, so a top three performance, and to compete at practice. If we have the aura of competition around us at all times, it will only make us better when it comes down to races.

NWN: Who do you think will help the most this year?
Vivone: Well, for us to be successful, we all have to have success and contribute. Everybody has to pitch in. Everybody.

NWN: Which meet will be the most challenging this year?
Vivone: They will all be challenging, so we have to take baby steps. We’re taking it one meet at a time and not looking forward too much, but we know where we want to be at the end of the season.

NWN: Everybody knows about the two relays that got first. Is there any pressure to improve from last year?
Vivone: Absolutely. We set the bar last year. Now, we have to raise it. Not only do we have to defend those relays, but take home a few more victories in other events.

NWN: What are the biggest areas that need improvement on the team?
Vivone: The Field events, such as shot put, pole vault, and high jump. We have very few pole vaulters right now, and we lost a lot of our great senior high jumpers last year.

NWN: Realistically, how far do you think the team can go this year?

Vivone: We got the talent. We can go as far as we’re willing to work.

The Track and Field team’s next meet is scheduled for Friday, March 4 at Home.