Coming Together in Skokie & Niles Township: Celebrating the Korean Culture

Image+courtesy+of+Coming+Together+Skokie.+
Image courtesy of Coming Together Skokie.

The Coming Together in Skokie project is dedicated to promoting in-depth knowledge about the many different cultures in Skokie and Niles Township.

On Thursday, January 16, at 2 p.m. at the Skokie Public Library, the Korean culture will be honored.

“The Coming Together in Skokie project definitely shows how diverse Skokie is and how much effort they put in to acknowledge the many cultures in it,” member of the Korean community and junior Joshua Kim said.

Members of the Korean community will present their culture through various programs and exhibits. Dedicated members of the Korean community have coordinated more than 60 different events.

In the last couple of years, a diversity of cultures have been represented, such as the Asian-Indian and Filipino-American cultures. Several thousands of people attended the various events over the six-week period that they lasted, learning about the featured culture. There is a special reason for featuring the Korean culture this year.

“The planning committee chose to celebrate the Korean culture and people this year in recognition of the fact that the Korean community plays a very important role in the life of Niles Township. Korean is one of the most commonly spoken languages in our schools, and many Korean and Korean-American people have chosen one of our Niles Township communities (Skokie, Lincolnwood, Morton Grove and Niles) as their home or place of business,” community relations director Jim Szczepaniak said.

Out of the 60, there are a few events coming directly to Niles West. The first event is an opening ceremony on Sunday, January 26. There will be an art exhibit at 1:30 p.m., a program at 2 p.m., and a closing reception with Korean food at 4 p.m. There will also be a visit from this year’s featured author, Sung J. Woo, on March 7.

For a complete list of events, refer to the Coming Together in Skokie program book.