The Wolves Come Up Short to St. Patrick

The Boys Varsity basketball team fought a hard battle trying to win Saturday’s game against St. Patrick but came up short and lost the game 61-38.

The Wolves played it as if it was their last game and tried to rise above all odds to change the numbers on the score board but were unable to overcome the Shamrocks on Saturday evening.

The game started out in favor of St Patrick but West evened out the score every chance they got. After reaching an even score of 9-9 the game slowly took a turn for the worse for the Wolves. The first quarter ended with a score of 16-11 in favor of the Shamrocks.  St Patrick’s continued to escalate their scoring output, scoring one basket after the other when the buzzer of the second quarter went off resulting in a score of 34-20 in St Patrick’s favor.

No matter how much the West fans screamed and the fanatic old man behind me roared, this became the course of the rest of the night.

After multiple fouls, free throws and body surfing, the third quarter ended with a score of 51-29. West tried to pick up the pace, attempting to come as close as possible to St Patrick but the guys weren’t allowing them to succeed. The Wolves lost the game that night with a score of 61-38.

Junior Amir Pelinkovic said he was expecting a win but came out disappointed at the end of the night.

“We came into the game thinking we were going to win,” he said. “You can’t go into any competitive situation with a negative mindset and expect to win, especially basketball. Last night we came up with a big win and after tonight’s loss it’s back to the drawing board. We don’t have much of the season left so we have to get better each day. No more steps back.”

Sophomore Jojo Rios agrees with Pelinkovic.

“I’m not proud of our results,” he said. “We could have played so much better and we could have played with much more heart [but] we did not have energy. I did think we were going to win but we were letting them shoot too many threes and our shots were not falling and we were not crashing the boards but no matter what I will always have faith in my team and always have the mentality of a winner.”

The Wolves are in action next on Tuesday, Jan. 28 as they take on Rolling Meadows at home, tipping off at 6:30.