Lady Wolves Defeat Schaumburg 42-28

The Girls Varsity basketball team beat Schaumburg 42-28 on Saturday, in what was a celebratory night for Niles West basketball.

Trailing 13-7 at the end of the first, with many of their shots coming from contested outside shots. Junior Julia Easter scored 6 of the Wolves opening points and had 8 on the on the night.

Heading into halftime, the Girls tied up the score at 19, with more of their shot attempts in the paint. Senior Alex Galanopoulos was scoring with ease, as she had 8 of her 16 total points in the second period alone.

Junior Katherine DeLara started the third quarter with buckets that would prove to be key. DeLara dropped in 5 straight points to give the Wolves a two point, 24-22 edge.

After this scoring surge, the Girls did not look back as they finished the third period leading 29-22, with lockdown defense and efficient offense.

In the 4th quarter, it was more of the same; the Wolves allowed only 6 points to the Saxons and they themselves scored 13 points to cap off what was a persistent performance in front of the former players at West.

Head Coach Tony Konsewicz said the honoring of former players was even greater because they were able to grab win.

“It just makes a really great event much more special being able to get our seventh victory on the season,” he said.

Konsewicz was impressed on how the Girls rebounded from a tough loss, just a day earlier.

“We had a tough game last night and to be able to bounce back and get a victory tonight says a lot about the Girls. We played two games in less than 24 hours and they really competed on a high level today.” he said.

The Wolves will tip-off next at 7:00pm on Thursday, Jan. 30 instead of Tuesday, Jan. 28 due to the weather.