Curriculum and Activity Night to take place for Incoming Freshmen

In an effort to promote student involvement, incoming freshmen and their parents are invited to attend the annual Curriculum and Activity Night on Wednesday, Feb.5 at 6:30 p.m. in the field house, contest gym, and along other halls in the school.

The goal of the night is to acquaint the incoming freshmen and parents not only with the extra curricular activities Niles West has to offer, but to also acquaint them with the school. According to coordinator Charles Pratt, those involved in the night will be doing their best to give future freshmen and parents the best impression of Niles West.

“It will be a very active and exciting evening,” Pratt said. “We will present an overview of Niles West, not only of activities, but everything from fine arts to science.”

This year, unlike in previous years, students and parents will be divided into two large groups. The evening will begin in the auditorium in which an opening presentation will be given by the principal and other administration. Following that, half of the attendees will go to the field house and look around at all the different activity stands, the other half will go take a tour of the entire school.

“The mascot will be walking around, we’ll have the poms team present, and various other attractions of our activities here at Niles West,” Pratt said.

The tours will be led by student government members, athletes, national honor society members, and other selected students. The two groups will switch at about the half time of the night.There is expected to be 70 students giving tours, and about 35 groups receiving tours at a time. Areas to be showcased will include STEM lab, the Lit Center, Fine Arts rooms, and other Niles West highlights.

“We are expecting between 500 and 600 parents and students to attend this year,” Pratt said.

Incoming Niles West students and parents will receive a full overview of all Niles West has to offer for their upcoming years of high school.