Interfaith Discussion to Be Held at Niles West

In an effort to spread knowledge about different religions, Niles West’s Quran Study will host the annual Interfaith discussion on Monday, Feb. 10 in the student commons from 3:30 to 5:15 p.m.

Interfaith is an event where speakers from different religions attend in order to discuss a specific topic. This years topic will be science and religion.

“I think interfaith is an interesting way to learn about other people’s religion. I think usually people who know about religion, it is usually about their own, and not necessarily about the all of the other ones, at least for me personally this is true. This year’s topic is science and religion; more specifically what does religion say about science and fundamental concepts in science that seem to cause issues within religion such as evolution. I expect it to be a more heated discussion and that is quite alright. This years interfaith is even better because people who are not as religious can still attend and learn something meaningful All I hope is that regardless of what is being said, everyone is respectful to all the speakers and do not have the mindset going in to be judgmental or critical..Hear them out!” president of Quran Study Hirrah Khatri.

Sponsor of Quran Study and math teacher Tayyaba Ahmad says that the science and religion theme is important because it relates to academic discussions.

“We chose this theme because students really wanted to know what are connects or disconnects between religion and science of today–especially in topics like Evolution. The theme is different from previous years and really relates to the school environment of academic discussions,” Ahmad said.

Speakers Rabbi Phil Karesh, Robert Nortillo, Omer M. Mozaffar, and Asayo Horibe will attend. Karesh will represent the Jewish faith, Nortillo the Christians, Mozaffar the Muslims, and Horibe the Buddhists. The presence of a Hindu speaker is also expected, but it has not been confirmed yet.

Junior Kurtis Hummel believes the that the interfaith is a good way to encourage the exploration of various opinions at the school.

“I think it’s important to host events that offer different views,” he said. “I would definitely consider attending.”

Senior Asiya Fatima agrees with Hummel.

“It gives an insight on different aspects in religions that you probably don’t know. It also makes you less ignorant,” Fatima said.

Food and drinks will also be served.