Freshman Friday: Bonnie Ledford

Freshman Friday: Bonnie Ledford

High school is a beginning to a new chapter to one’s life. It’s filled with great memories and challenges, something that freshman Bonnie Ledford knew from the beginning. She was ready to take on this new chapter of her life.

Graduated from Lincoln Junior High, Ledford was ready to take on the new year with high school. High school is always a different experience; it can only be done once in a life time. It’s a time to fix mistakes and overcome challenges that can be learned in high school. There’s a strong support system here at school: ranging from teachers, to super advisers, social workers, etc.

“In middle school, I had a very hard time finding my way. In my early years of middle school, I didn’t have as much help and support. I feel that I was able to overcome my mistakes and learn from them a lot faster so that I can continue on. I’m glad I was able to mess up early, so I can have the rest of my high school career start off good,” Ledford said.

Ledford already knew a lot of the students from the incoming freshmen class. She never struggled with making new friends, but she did struggle with the building of Niles West itself.

“I felt like a shrimp in the Pacific Ocean. I had no idea where anything was except for the cafeteria,” Ledford said.

Ledford made sure to pay close attention to West’s art department. She showed an interest in art and West had a variety of opportunities to really show passion through art. Ledford loves the variety.

“I enjoy really any of the art classes because there’s any medium of art. I love working in different styles, and Niles West provides really good basis and range of classes for different types of art,” Ledford said.

Even though she is currently not in any extracurricular activities this year, she hopes to get involved at school activities next year.

“I want to participate in more after school activities. I want to get more involved with the public library, like spending more time there or volunteering. Learning, studying, and using the resources they have there seems like a great benefit,” Ledford said.

High schools in general give the most beneficial four years of a teenagers life. It’s an environment with hard-working difficulties, support of other students and teachers, and marking point of someone’s growth in life.

“I think the best part of school has been the teachers that care enough to see their students not as just students but individual human beings that sometime need a little help,” Ledford said.