Preview: Boys Gymnastics

Preview: Boys Gymnastics

The NWN sat down with head coach Adrian Batista to discuss the boys’  gymnastics team and expectations for the 2014 season.

NWN: How did the team do last year? 

Batista: The team went third in conference. We placed at multiple invites but didn’t win any invites.

NWN: How do you hope the performance level will at be this year?

Batista: I feel this will be a very strong year for Niles West gymnastics. We have a lot of very talented seniors on the team. We also have a very talented sophomore and I’m hoping to make a run for the conference title this season.

NWN: Who are the leaders on the team?

Batista: Our captains are Harris Khan and Andy Tran– both seniors. Harris on fx, vault, parallel bars and high bar. Andy on high bar and pbars. We have a very talented sophomore, Dalai Jamiyankhuu who is our strongest all arounder. Timmy La, Ryan Tang and David Nipas on pommel horse. [We have] Paul Dugo and Ben Nudelman on rings, among other seniors and varsity members.

NWN: What kind of training are the guys put through?

Batista: We practice everyday from 3:30 p.m. to 6 p.m. and Saturdays from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. We start by working on different apparatus and then we do a 20 to 30 minute strength workout where we focus on lifting your own body type strength. Many push ups, handstands, sit ups, chin ups, pullups, crosses and dips.

NWN: What would you say makes the boys gymnastics stand out as a sport?

Batista: We do skills in the gym that most of the world will never be able to do. We are a team sport but everyone competes individually. It is unique that during a competition everyone must do their best routines to have an overall good meet. Other sports, your teammates can help you out on the field but in gymnastics it comes down to the athlete and the apparatus. It is very challenging and creates strong individuals. If you can perform a routine all by your self in front of a judge and a crowd, you can do anything.

NWN: Who are you looking forward to compete against?

Batista: I am looking forward to both Glenbrook North and Glenbrook South. They are great teams and I would like to have a good meet against them, hopefully winning both of those meets.

NWN: What are your expectations from the guys?

Batista: My expectations for all my athletes are that they do the best they can for every competition. I always want to win but if we lose and we did our best, then I am proud of them. There is no defense in gymnastics.
I do hope that we win conference this year and qualify multiple individuals to the state series this year.