Niles West’s MSA Hosts Second Annual Ramaday

2014 Girls Varsity Volleyball Preview

2014 Girls Varsity Volleyball Preview

Following a two-time Regional Championship, a total of 26 season wins, and an appearance in sectionals, the girls Varsity Volleyball team is planning to coming back stronger than ever. As the team starts their season without now-graduated division one recruit Olivia Rusek, the girls varsity volleyball team has big aspirations with their returning  core of experienced players to make history. Head coach Stacy Metoyer sat down with the NWN to talk about how the teams’ doing so far and what’s next to come.

NWN: How does the team look this year?

Metoyer: This year they look very good and I’m so excited to see the team play. A bunch of the girls from last season worked hard on the offseason and are coming back with power and strength.

NWN: Is there a specific match-up you guys are looking forward to?

Metoyer: The breast cancer awareness game with our rivals Niles North is an exciting time for us.

NWN: What is the basic schedule for a volleyball player?

Metoyer: Most of our girls are involved with club volleyball, which goes on from November to June, while they’re involved with club they also do Off-Season workouts with Coach Perez.

NWN: Which schools are the biggest competition?

Metoyer: Our biggest competitions this year would be Maine South, and New Trier.

NWN: What are the teams’ strengths this year?

Metoyer: Definitely our hitting power and serving. We have our returning outside hitters sophomore Kaila Johanson, and junior Dominique Krason that will have a great impact on our season, and as well as our setter sophomore Eleni Valourdos who made all conference last year, she ran our offense.

NWN: What are the teams’ goal for this year?

Metoyer: Our three goals are, beat Niles North in the breast cancer awareness game, make top three conference, and win regionals. I’m looking forward to starting the season because of how prepared our girls are from working the off season and are coming back with hitting power and strength.