NAMES Assembly to Take Place Tomorrow and Wednesday

Senior Abeer Zaidi writes on the RESPECT board at NAMES on Wednesday, Oct. 6. Photo by Ivana Kosir

Niles West’s annual NAMES Assembly will take place on Tuesday, Sep. 16 and Wednesday, Sep. 17 in the auditorium for freshmen.

Students and teachers are hoping the assembly will allow students to share their feelings about bullying, as well as personal experiences if they feel up to it.

“It allows students the opportunity to share times when they have been bullied or when they have bullied. It allows a safe space to talk about how you feel when somebody says something to you that you may not be comfortable with,” science instructor and freshman homeroom teacherĀ John Metzler said.

Students who are helping out with the assembly hope freshmen will get something positive out of the assembly.

“I think they’ll get perspective on what’s really, really going on with bullying and see how people have been affected, and see the truth. Some students will talk about what they’ve done, and the fact that each person has had something you don’t think is a big deal is is a big deal to someone else,” senior Rita Carmona said.

Teachers are hoping the open mic will have a positive impact on the freshmen.

“The open mic has a positive impact. I hope students gain a lot from it. The open mic is very powerful. Bullying is anĀ important and sensitive topic,” student activities director Katie Odell said.