Walter Lindwall: Star Cellist

Walter Lindwall: Star Cellist

Music has always been an important aspect in Walter Lindwall‘s life. He grew up listening to his older sister practicing her viola, and just like any other fourth grader attending Lincoln Hall middle school, Walter got pulled into the beginning of his musical orbit. At a young age, you could see that he was a natural. Just in Middle school, he attended the IMEA music festival. He won an orchestra award, was a principle cellist, and won a division one. In high school he had also won a division 1, and attended the northwestern music festival.

There is a certain passion in his eyes when he plays that is unmatched throughout the orchestra . “I try feel how the piece feels,” he says. Go to any orchestra concert and watch him sitting in the first chair cello section. There is something in him that no one else has.

Steven Katz, the Niles West high school director, has always been supportive of Walter. “Walter Lindwall is a wonderful musician.  He plays very smart, very accurate, but mainly he is very musical.  His playing is really beautiful!”

Lindwall’s cello teacher Nina Wallenberg is an especially influential person to Walter. “She pushes me to be the best I can be.”

There is another person that Walter holds near and dear to his heart. His younger brother  is affected by Cerebral Palsy. What makes music so important to him is being able to play for his brother in a way that makes them sincerely connect.[quote]

To better help himself succeed in the Orchestra, he has taken AP Music theory, an extensive class that builds upon the basic musical concepts  of notes, rhythms, and beats, and takes the honors option of the Symphonic Orchestra to continue pushing himself.

Out of this musical world, Walter enjoys learning about history. He is currently taking three social studies classes just this year including debate, AP European History and AP American Government. Outside of school he is a graduated Boy Scout. At the early age of 16 he received earned the rank of Eagle Scout to represent the many camping trips he endured, dozens of merit badges earned and the voluntary service project he oversaw to help repair the campus of Orchard Village.

Although his college plans are not set in stone, Walter knows he would like to continue to make his passions for history and music a part of his life as he moves past high school.

Note: The Attached Audio is Lindwall Playing an Excerpt from Bach’s First Cello Suite.

Vinny Kabat contributed to this story.