Orchestra to Perform Fall Concert Tonight

The first orchestra concert of the year will be held Thursday, Oct. 2 at 7:30 p.m. in the auditorium.

According to conductor Steven Katz, the three orchestras plan to perform the following music: “Scarborough Fair” by Simon and Garfunkel, Smetana’s “The Moldau,” Percy Grainger’s “Molly on the Shore,” Wagner’s “Elsa’s Procession to the Cathedral,” and some other English folk songs.

“I think that there’s so much talent in this building, and students have to see it. I hope in the same time that the students attending will have an emotional connection to the music we’ll be performing,” Katz said.

Senior Theodore Beck, who plays first violin, said he is excited about the show.

“I really do like performing. It’s fun and energizing,” he said.

To prepare for each of the five concerts that orchestra holds every school year, members practice during class and at home. Students have six weeks between shows to practice for each concert.

Senior Bolortsetseg Gal-Erdene, who plays second violin, said practice is an important part of the process.

“It depends on the individual how much devotion he or she has for the instrument. We, as a group, practice every day in class, which is about 40 minutes. Others might practice at home too,” she said.

Katz agrees.

“The secret to a successful playing is: practice, practice, and practice…but smart. Think about how you do it,” he said.