MENU

Students Recognized at You Make A Difference Breakfast

By Ena Sarancic

The annual “You Make A Difference” Breakfast is scheduled for Wednesday, Oct. 15 at 7:30 a.m. in the student commons.

Fourteen students were nominated by 12 faculty and staff members, according to executive secretary Judy Wheatman, who organized the event.

Students nominated for the award are: Jose Mancera, Samir Sabovic, Evelen Roail, Mernah Polus, Renato Rivera, Nathaniel Arroyo, Kaitlyn Pedroza, Maggie Holbrook, Jackie Chis, Claine Loking, Sam Shemroske, Matea Nikovic, Nicole Camburn, Ameera Lodhi.

“Students are nominated by faculty or staff members because they have either made an improvement academically or they have given back to the community or classroom,” she said.

Principal Jason Ness said he  feels that the program is very significant to the school’s culture.

“I continued with the program because it is an excellent opportunity to recognize those students and staff members who do something a little bit different or out of the ordinary and often times they don’t even realize they’re doing it,” Ness said. “We want to make sure that those little things that happened are recognized because that is what makes a great school and good climate in culture here. That tradition will be in place as long as I’m here.”

Junior Jacqueline Chis said she is very flattered by her nomination.

“It’s nice to be nominated, especially in the beginning of junior year. With everything piling up, it sort of feels like a lot of what I’m doing isn’t going to pay off, and the award just shows me that what I’m doing is paying off,” Chis said. “I really don’t know what I did to make me stand out. I think that’s part of the reason why the award is so great, it shows that even though students who may not see themselves as outstanding peers are recognized by others for the things they do.”

According to Wheatman, at the breakfast, faculty or staff members will either read the certificate that will be given to the student that they nominated, give a direct comment that they have prepared about the student, or they will speak from the heart. The students will be given their awards and will celebrate with a complementary breakfast.