Breaking News: Winter Dance To Be Held on Cruise Ship

Photo courtesy of Spirit of Chicago
Photo courtesy of Spirit of Chicago

A Winter Dance will be held on the Spirit of Chicago Cruise Ship on Feb. 7, 2015, according to student activities director Katie Odell.

Juniors and seniors will have first priority to the 300 tickets that will be sold from Jan.5 through Jan.16. If the tickets are not sold out, the dance will then be open to sophomores and freshmen.  Each ticket will cost $55.

“I wanted to create a new excitement in the school about doing something social in the middle of the school year,” Odell said. “I’m really excited, and I think it will be really fun for the students. It’s definitely something that hasn’t been done.”

The ticket will include transportation to and from Navy Pier, a full dinner, dessert, unlimited drinks the entire night, and an open dance floor with a DJ. Students will depart in coach buses from Niles West at 5:45 p.m and board Spirit of Chicago at 6:30 p.m. The ship will be on the water from 7-10 p.m. and afterwards students will take the buses back to the school, Odell said.

Most students said they are excited about the opportunity to have the dance on a boat.

“I think it’s going to be really fun because Niles West has never done anything like this before, and the fact that the dance is on a boat will make it even better,” junior Nichole Lopatin said.