Art Students to Host Halloween-Themed Showcase

The fine arts teachers and students will be hosting their annual Howl-o-ween Art Show tonight at 6 pm in the art gallery.

According to art teacher Barb Wismer, this year’s art projects will be sculptures of faces made out of clay.

“The sculptures of the faces are inspired by the Day of the Dead. We are changing the format; we will collaborate with junior high schools and our own Niles West students from Advanced Studio, Advanced Placement, and Digital Art classes. We are excited to do the different format because it has more creative freedom, and explores the students’ own images,” she said.

Freshman Daniella Rodriguez said she is excited about contributing to the show.

“I’ve enjoyed art ever since I was little, but I feel like I’ve encountered my love for art more than the past two years.” she said. “Art makes me feel very calm, puts me in my happy place, and I feel like I can express myself through art. Since Halloween is coming up, our clay designs are monster themed. I decided to do this project because I believe I could use some more work in ceramics and my techniques using clay. For painting, we needed to have a color scheme and can only paint with the colors of our color scheme, where we learned to mix colors. For the clay, we have to make sure that our edges are smooth and our overall project looks like a real sculpture. We recently finished working on an abstract design for painting and now we are working on creating a monster made out of clay.”