Back to the Basket: Why Leave School Early?

Senior Vinny Kabat
Senior Vinny Kabat
Senior Vinny Kabat
Senior Vinny Kabat

The 2014 NBA draft was believed by many to be what would turn into the deepest draft in league history. While I do still believe that statement to have truth to it, thus far this has been a less than memorable season for the bulk of youngsters that entered this highly anticipated season. Many of them just a couple years removed from high school, I can’t say I’m surprised many rookies have had their freshman woes hit hard. This begs the question: are college freshmen, especially big men, really ready to hit the big leagues after just one year of college ball?

Most draftees enter the league having been the undisputed faces of their high school and college squads. However, such success rarely translates immediately at the NBA level. The NBA is truly a league of men, and many prospects enter it as scrawny boys with raw talent. The jump from college competition to professional competition is astronomical, especially for young men that have only spent a year in a college stadium.

Many argue that it’s easier to mold players into an NBA caliber fashion if they come in as unpolished freshman– they feel the players are like giant blobs of clay they can mold in whichever fashion they please. However, especially for young big men, more years in school means more years in the weight room. Just about every young big man, regardless of how much talent he has, is going to have a miserable time in his first few years of NBA ball if he hasn’t bulked up considerably.

This lack of bulk is also a concern for injuries. It’s not a coincidence that guys like Greg Oden and Julius Randle could barely step on an NBA court before falling to injuries. They both spent only one year playing ball at the collegiate level– only a year of training at the college level, which is unfathomably more vigorous than that of a high school training program. This makes the wear and tear of banging with the league’s strongest big men in the post more than most eighteen or nineteen year old NBA bodies can take.

The last truly low post presence I can think of spent three years in college. His name? Shaquille O’Neal.