Meet Me in a Minute International Week: Maya Caballero

Senior Maya Caballero is proud to be apart of two different nationalities where family, food, and tradition are similar yet unique in their differences. Having a mother that’s Indian and a father who’s Mexican shows her the greatness of both cultures and are united by their strong relationship with family.

“We are very close knit, and always do everything together. When we spend time with my grandparents in Florida we always eat dinner together at the table. Even though I’m an only child, I’m never left out. I have five aunts and uncles and thirteen cousins; there’s always comfort and warmth that comes with being close to my family,” she explained.

Her love for her family comes from being raised in both cultures, and their love for food comes with that as well.

“Our food is amazing! Indian food is definitely my favorite, but I also love Mexican food. Samosa’s are a common Indian food at the table as well as Tamales which are a traditional Mexican dish,” Caballero explained.
From the difference of spices used in the kitchen, to the languages they speak, Caballero represents their unity and has a love for both her ethnicities.
“I love being half Mexican and half Indian because there is no one like that. It’s rare to meet a person that is half Indian and half Mexican. Both cultures, even though they might seem different, they are very similar, my parents are both very strict, but also so loving and caring about what I do, and they expect a lot from me.”