Q & A with Senior Soccer Standout Greg Solawa

The NWN had a chance to speak with senior Greg Solawa, who has recently committed to play Division I soccer at Ohio State University.

NWN: Tell me about your experience while playing soccer for Niles West?

Solawa: I had a lot of fun playing West. The reason as to why I had so much fun is because I got to spend a whole season of my favorite sport with some of my good friends. We had good chemistry while playing because those are the guys I trusted and we got the job done. Even though it was a horrific season we had in terms of our record, I enjoyed the practices and the team bonding we had during that season.

NWN: What were some factors as to why you decided to quit the team after the season?

Solawa: Well, I figured out to myself that the only way to grow as a player and to become more skillful was to join my academy team that I play for which is Chicago Magic. No disrespect to the coaches and staff of Niles West soccer, but I thought to myself that If I join an academy team, Chicago Magic, which is one of the best academies in the nation, I can practice throughout the whole year and have more opportunities to play in front of college scouts.

NWN:  How has playing for your new academy team made you a better player?

Solawa: I just feel good out there. I think my overall fitness and stamina has improved and that plays a huge part in the game because when games matter the most they come down to the wire and only the strongest and the most fit survive all 90 minutes and give it their all. The academy has a lot of drills that involve to test your own fitness and stamina abilities to the max and even though they were dreadful in practice, I can assure you that its paid off in the long run.

NWN: Other than soccer skill related, how has playing for your new academy team made you a better person?

Solawa: This academy has taught me to never give up and to always stay optimistic. To me that is one of the most important aspects of soccer a player must have. Not only in soccer but in every sport. I wouldn’t want to be on a team filled with players that give up when they are losing. I want to be playing alongside players that always motivate me and never give up even when things are getting rough. I wouldn’t want that so I try to be as positive at all times because the game doesn’t end until the ref blows the whistle.

NWN: How do you feel about being named an All -Conference player your sophomore year?

Solawa: [It’s] humbling and [I feel] blessed. I dedicate my game to my family because my brother and father have spent a huge amount of time on teaching me the game and just trying to help me become the best I can be. Now my mom has given me hope that I can achieve great things with her support and she always makes time for me to take me to games, practice, and wherever I need to be for soccer. If it wasn’t for them I wouldn’t have been an All-Conference athlete.

NWN: How will you transition to changing your game from high school soccer to college soccer?

Solawa: It’s going to be tough and I know it but I know I can do it. The main thing about college soccer is that its fast paced. The most important transition to me I think is to become faster and stronger. College athletics is a very fast paced and physical game. I know I can do it but its going to take hard work and dedication. Both of those things I’ve dealt with in all my years of playing soccer.

NWN: How excited are you to be joining Ohio State University next year and playing division I soccer?

Solawa: Very excited. This is like a dream come true to me. Ohio State is one of the biggest schools in the nation and to be a part of that school and that team is truly an honor and a blessing. Never would I have thought I would be playing for a Big 10 college and it finally happened. I would have never  made it this far if it wasn’t for my family that has supported me throughout the years. I can’t thank them enough.