Breaking News: Spring Pep Assembly Pushed Back One Week

This year’s spring pep assembly is being pushed back to the Friday before Spring Break to give the varsity athletics performing during the assembly more time to prepare, according to student activities director Katie Odell.

The assembly will now take place Friday, Mar. 20 instead of March 13. Because this season’s sports teams have just recently finalized their teams, pushing the assembly back a week will give them more time to plan a way to raise school spirit with their team, Odell said.

“Last year we made a video, and we aren’t sure of what we are doing this year yet. I guess the extra week gives us time to plan something,” senior varsity water polo member Susan Enwia said.

At the assembly, a series of Minute-to-Win-It type games will be held, and the different classes will compete against each other. Athletes of each class from all of the sports team will have their names drawn on the spot to compete with other athletes in the games. Whichever athlete takes the most amount of time to complete their event, whether it’s a freshman, sophomore, junior, or senior, will knock out their class and be eliminated. At the end of the series of games, one class will be crowned the winners.

“I think it’s a great way to get students involved in the assembly and create friendly competition between the classes. I’m really excited about adding this new element to the assembly and I really think it’s going to be fun,” Odell said

Some students, however, said they were disappointed in the date change.

” I was looking forward to being able to go to my last pep assembly of my high school career, but now that I’m going on vacation a day before we get out of school, I won’t be able to celebrate that last hoorah with my senior class,” senior Alana Martin said.