Boys Gymnastics Preview

Boys Gymnastics Preview

[youtube]https://youtu.be/wUNvz8lUoNk[/youtube]

The Boys varsity gymnastics team is very excited for what the 2015 season has in store.

Senior gymnast Jeremy Sands said “I’m looking forward to competing at sectionals and seeing how far we can go. I’ve always loved learning new tricks and competing with the team. Depending on how we do we can definitely go to state like  we did last year.”

“The most important thing is always maximizing their potential, however big or small that may be, it’s not always about getting the highest score or to the state meet, but wringing the most out of the raw material they give us,” coach Keith ‘Banzai’ Mukai said.

The boys have set high goals for themselves and for the team after qualifying for state as a team last season.

“I’d like to qualify for state again, I finished 49/50th on floor last year– I’d like to do a little better than that,” Sands explained.

Senior Jordan Goldberg hopes to make it to state as an all arounder, possibly floor vault and p bars.

“This season so far we’ve had a little bit of a slow start,” head coach Adrian Batista said, “but I’m hoping to see a strong finish in conference and hopefully one of our ring guys being in the top five in Illinois.  Some team goals we have are to finish top 2 in conference, as well as qualifying a bunch of guys for state.”

“We’re doing gymnastics and nobody in the school does cool tricks like we do. We do a lot of cool flips, we have guys doing a whole bunch of crazy strength moves on rings, and if you’ve never seen a gymnastics meet its very fun and entertaining and not like any other sport you’ve seen,” Batista added.

You can catch the boys in action at next Friday’s 6 PM Mundelein invite.

Video by Emily Stegich