2011 Girls Track Preview

[media id=69]

The NWN interviewed varsity head coach Mark Medland about this year’s Girls’ Track team.

NWN: How do you think the team will do this year?

Medland:  We have a great group of girls. I believe we can finish near the top of the conference.  Our goal on a yearly basis is to have as many of the girls as possible earn All-Conference recognition and qualify for the State meet at Eastern Illinois University in May.

NWN: What meet is going to be the most challenging this year?

Medland: Indoors, the Hononegah Invitational is a strong field; we placed 8th out of 26 teams at that meet. Niles West sprinter Kellion Gordon was recognized as the “Athlete of the Meet,” as she won both the 55 and 200-meter dash at Hononegah.  The Proviso East Invitational was also very challenging as many of the top sprinters in the state competed at that meet.  As we close our indoor portion of the season, we travel to the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater where we will be competing with nearly 30 other teams from both Illinois and Wisconsin.  Outdoors, the Glenbard East Invite and the New Trier Invite are both challenging fields, and the Sectional meet which leads to state qualification can be demanding as well.

NWN: What are some of the team’s goals this season?

Medland: The goal on a yearly basis is to finish near the top of our conference, have as many girls as possible earning All-Conference recognition and qualify as many girls as possible for the state meet.

NWN: What are the biggest areas that need improvement on the team?

Medland: Every season is all about improvement and progression in all areas as well as staying healthy and injury-free.  At this point, we are scoring a lot of points in the sprints, sprint relays, hurdles and shot put.  We have a couple of athletes returning from injury who will be helping us out and the distance group is really beginning to come on strong as they scored points in the Proviso East relays as well.

NWN: Realistically, how far do you think the team can go this year?

Medland: Again, we believe we can finish near the top of the conference. Last year, we had seven girls recognized as All-Conference athletes while qualifying both a relay and individuals to the state meet finishing 21st in the state.  If all goes well, we would love to have more All-Conference athletes this season and qualify more athletes for the state meet……maybe two relays as well as individual qualifiers.

NWN: What should everyone know about the Track team ?

Medland: The girls work hard, and they have a strong desire to improve.  Many of the girls work year round, attending summer track or cross-country camp and weight lifting during the off-season.  Any success we have as a team is due to the girls and their commitment and dedication to the sport.

NWN: What are the team’s best attributes?

Medland: The willingness on the part of all of the girls to work hard and improve as the season progresses.  The girls understand that the season is a progression from January through May, with each meet they want to see times drop, or improve on the distance they are throwing the shot or discus.  They understand that if there is continued effort in every meet and practice, the pay off will come at the end of the season as they achieve their individual goals.

NWN: Who is the most influential player on the team? Who will have the most impact on this season?

Medland: Captains Rita Dawod, Kellion Gordon, Anna Ploszynski, Kim Mercado and Lindsey Karp are all great leaders who can be depended upon to lead in both practice and meets.  Our returning athletes such as Jasmine Townsend, Vicki Barela, Sydney Hellwig, Jessica Sutfin, Annie Goudes, Casey PlachLily Chatman, Sunshine and Sunbright Simon are all scoring points in the meets.