Niles West’s MSA Hosts Second Annual Ramaday

5 Ways to Make the Most Out of Freshman Year

Editor’s Note: This is the first advice column of a series of four pieces written by upperclassmen.

Congrats! You made it to freshman year!

Sadly, the hard part starts now. Although, the more you know going into high school, the easier your experience will be.
1. Freshman year is JUST as important as any other year in high school.

Your GPA follows you from the very first day of your high school career to your very last. It’s also a lot easier for your GPA to fall rather than to bring up; so don’t dig your future self into a hole that’s nearly impossible to get out of.

2. Try something new!

Not only do extracurricular look amazing on college apps, but you’d be surprised how fun it is to try something new. Niles West has so many different clubs and activities to offer and this is your time to try out new things and see what you like!

3. Get help if you need it!

Do NOT be afraid to go to the literacy center or the math/science resource centers to get help. It is crucial to keep up with what you are doing in class because there will always be new material to learn the next day.

4. Don’t procrastinate!

Don’t make your freshman year harder than it should be. Get your work done as soon as you can and be organized. There is nothing worse than having to catch up on work late at night and getting no sleep.

5. Have school spirit!

No upperclassmen like it when the freshman don’t participate in school functions. For example, go to football games, wear your color for the pep assemblies, go all out for spirit week, and GO to the dances!
When I was a freshman, I had received plenty of good advice that I didn’t actually listen to. So the best piece of advice I could give, is to take all of the advice you’re given!