Q & A with Rotimi

Rotimi Photo courtesy of BTG Management LLC

Rotimi, an up-and-coming international singer, is scheduled to perform at Niles North in the auditorium on Monday, March 21 at 7:00 pm, as a benefit concert. Fifty percent of the proceeds will go to Refugee One, as part of the Dance Marathon fundraiser, and 50% of the proceeds will go to District 219 education foundation fund.

Tickets, which are $5 per student, will be sold Monday during lunch periods, so you still have a chance to buy them; they will not be sold at the door. Come support Dance Marathon and see Rotimi perform for only Niles West and Niles North students–and Niles West’s own Echo Effect is scheduled as an open act!

I had an opportunity to interview Rotimi on the phone on Thursday, and here’s what he told me about his life:

Q: What type of music do you sing?

A: I sing R&B and pop.

Q: How old were you when you decided to be a singer?

A: I was about 15, after I won the Apollo. [The Apollo Theater, NY] It was all about the crowd and my education and just being on the stage. It was all about how Michael Jackson, Stevie Wonder, the greats, were and I really wanted to do it.

Q:What is one thing you want your music to say?

A: I want my music to always be something to feel. I want it be something people can relate to it. Good  times, bad times, happy times, confusion, just everything. I want people to always relate to me and say that they can feel what I’m saying. I want to be the outlet for people.

Q: If you could be anyone in the world for 24 hours, who would you be? and why?

A: It would have to be Obama, because I would want the feeling of knowing that I am the first African-American president in the history of the United States.

Q: What is your favorite food?

A: Jamaican curry chicken. I love spicy food.

Q: What’s the thing you love most about Nigeria?

A: I love the culture. We have one of the richest cultures in the world. There is so much about Africa that people don’t know, so much natural beauty, it’s beautiful. How it feels to be down there is amazing.

Q: If there is one thing that people don’t know about you that you want them to know, what would it be?

A: I’m completely opposite of the person on stage. The Rotimi on stage is a whole different person than me off stage; I am a very soft-spoken person.