Vending Machine Prices Increase

[youtube]https://youtu.be/mDq4U-MEWGw[/youtube]

Beginning last week, prices have been raised for various snacks in the vending machines. The majority of snacks now cost $1.25, but the lowest price remains at $1.00 while the highest is $2.00.

Most students as they stop by the vending machines only have a dollar or two and now that only seems to buy one thing. 

“We have a contract with Lean Green Vending Machines and I don’t know exactly why they chose to raise the prices now versus last year. If they choose to they can raise the prices in the machines. I just assume that it’s the beginning of the year and they needed to raise their prices to account for transportation costs, production costs, maybe the company need to make more money,” assistant principal Mark Rigby said.

From Lean Green’s point of view they may just be thinking about the economics of the situation.

“Well, from a business stand point its all about supply and demand. Usually an increase in price means a decrease in demand, so items the have higher prices will have lower sales, and vice versa. It’s basic economics,” business teacher Jean Attig said.

Still some students have become upset with the sudden change.          

“The vending machines have become more expensive and it’s annoying to have to search through my wallet to find extra change,” sophomore Grace Geraghty said.

The extra time it takes to purchase snacks is also an annoying problem.

“A lot of people are complaining about the prices. Quarters are hard to deal with sometimes, and using the vending machine is supposed to be a fast transaction, so lately I’ve stopped going to the vending machines,” senior Natalia Bafia said

For some students and faculty stopping at the vending machines during their free time isn’t a necessity.

“I don’t go to the vending machines that often, so I didn’t really know about the price changes,” senior Chris Baba said.

Even teachers agree that the prices are a bit too high for the amount of food.

“The prices went up about 25 cents for certain items; I don’t typically buy from the vending machines so that’s all I do know about the prices at this point. But now seeing the prices do I think that some things are overpriced, of course,” Rigby said.

The upset isn’t just occurring here at west, but also over at Niles North.

“A lot of students have felt that it is unfair that certain small portions of snack foods, like granola bars, have now become overpriced,” Niles North senior Jazmyn Trinos said.

It has been no surprise to administrators that many students, all across the district, have become upset with the price increase.

“I’m sure a lot of students are frustrated with the changes; we all get frustrated when prices change,”said Rigby, “I know when gas goes up I get mad too, so I get it,” Rigby said.

The changes in prices are certainly going to be an adjustment, but with time anything can change. Lean Green may choose to lower their prices to their original amount if profits aren’t improving, or raise them again if they are. To companies, it may all come down to supply and demand.