Clubs Goin’ Up at West: Beatbox Club

Clubs Goin Up at West: Beatbox Club

Editor’s Note: This is the third in a series of 10 features about clubs at West.

Three years ago, junior Phil Duros decided to take up a new instrument. It wasn’t a cello or a french horn but vocal percussion. More specifically, beatboxing. Beatboxing is a form of vocal percussion where you use your voice, lips, and tongue to mimic drums, basslines, and other musical instruments.  

“I basically learned off of YouTube. It’s an addiction for me now and I can’t stop,” Duros said.

Duros had considered starting a club here at West and almost gave up until fellow beatboxer junior Isaiah Lopez approached him about starting one.  

Beatboxing is also featured in contemporary a cappella music. Echo Effect– the all guys a cappella group here at West– was where Duros and Lopez first got their start. A cappella vocal percussionists take a special role of leadership in keeping time and adding a rhythmic backbone.

“We plan on meeting on Tuesdays after school till five. We want this club to start ASAP so we can have fun,” Duros said.

The biggest obstacle facing the duo and their club– they do not have a sponsor. Beatboxing is an alternative style of music, and usually a rare talent to come across. 

Something that I like about beatboxing is that it’s rare and unique. Not everyone can do it and if you can, I personally think you have a gift… you will not regret joining,” Duros said. 

If you are student interested in joining Beatbox Club or a teacher interested in sponsoring, email [email protected] or [email protected].