Breaking News: Trash-Can Fire Causes Swim Meet Evacuation

Back to Article
Back to Article

Breaking News: Trash-Can Fire Causes Swim Meet Evacuation

By Katrina Nickell

Hang on for a minute...we're trying to find some more stories you might like.


Email This Story






[youtube]https://youtu.be/k6JztD26Rv0[/youtube]

A fire in a science-room trash can caused an evacuation last night during senior night for the girls swim team, leaving swimmers, wet, outside in the cold.

According to assistant principal Mark Rigby, the small fire was caused by a warm piece of ceramic that was in the trash can that ignited some paper.

“There was no significant damage at all,” he said. “The Skokie Fire Department responded and everything was all good.”

Many people were panicked as the alarm went off, but all were filed out in an orderly fashion.

The alarm went off around 7:30 p.m., just as the senior night  ceremony had concluded. Many swimmers were back in the pool warming up before their meet against New Trier.

A small fire in a trash can causes an evacuation of the girls swim meet against New Trier last night. Photo by Katrina Nickell

A small fire in a trash can causes an evacuation of the girls swim meet against New Trier last night. Photo by Katrina Nickell

“The starter button malfunctioned at the beginning of the meet and I thought that it was the fire alarm,” senior captain Justyna Magiera said. “We were talking about how funny it would be if the fire alarm went off in the middle of the meet, and then it did! It was so cold and we were all soaking wet. Some of us still had our caps and goggles on. It was a crazy night but an unforgettable one for senior night”

Due to the alarm, the swim meet was called off against New Trier because it would take too long to complete.

By 8:15 p.m. everything had been cleared and everyone was allowed back in the building to gather their things.