Students to Shadow Careers, Businesses

Students to Shadow Careers, Businesses

Niles West students will participate in the 16th annual D219 Job Shadow Day that is scheduled to take place on Thursday, Nov. 12 at various businesses.

The shadowing opportunity, which was established in 2000, will include at least 350 students participating in job shadowing at 60 different businesses, according to Job Shadow Day coordinator Lisa Edelson.

“Our students can greatly benefit from a Job Shadow Day experience because it can provide them with a better understanding of how they can take advantage of their high school experiences, including their academic classes and extracurricular activities to investigate potential career choices and opportunities in the workplace,” Edelson said.

Some students said they were interested in learning more about their hopeful careers.

“I look forward to learn the basic requisites that the person has to fulfill in real life apart from what the Google definition acknowledges me with. It really excites me to see what my future would look like,” senior Vinit Gheewala said.

Moreover, individuals said they were excited about participating in Job Shadow Day for the first time.

“I’m excited to participate in job shadow day. It will help me prepare for the future, and I’ll know what will be expected from me if I plan to go in that field,” said senior Kunj Patel, who will be shadowing at Anixter Inc.

Students who have attended Job Shadow Day before said they enjoyed the experience.

“I really enjoyed going to Discover. It was a pleasant and life changing experience as I was rewarded with a chance for one on one interview with the employee. Such an experience would definitely benefit me to choose the career I want to pursue,” Gheewala said.

Shadowing opportunities in healthcare, law enforcement, teaching, finance, and many other industries are available for students to take part in. Individuals were able to participate in Job Shadow Day on Oct. 28 and Nov. 4 as well, Edelson said.