Varsity Boys Basketball Preview

The winter sports season is coming up quickly, which means that school favorite sports are getting back into action. This of course includes the boys varsity basketball season getting underway. To get a feel for what’s happening this season, The NWN had a chance to sit down with  head coach Robert Williams.

“We have participated a large number of off-season leagues, summer camp and open gym every day since spring break last year. We have also worked out with the strength and conditioning coaches four times a week.  Several players played on AAU teams during the off-season as well” Williams said.

Coming back from a busy off-season, Williams hopes the boys will have a season that is better than ever.

“We host our own Thanksgiving tournament and go to the most prestigious Holiday tournament in the state in Pontiac, so our tournament schedule is important.  We play in one of the best leagues in the state,  so we have a great number of conference games that are vitally important.”

The thing that makes this season so different than others is the fact that the boys have put in not only the time to improve themselves as much as possible, but to also make sure that they are an even stronger team than before.

“We have good team quickness and will look to play an up tempo game. We are now very skilled with effectively playing the perimeter and have the ability to shoot well,” Williams said.

Being skilled in most aspects of the game is not only the main contribution to making a strong team. Being able to establish a strong relationship with your team makes all the difference.

“We’re coming on the court being able to trust that everyone out there has each others backs, and that’s amazing. And I think that with our new offense coming in nicely, we will be able to come together and compete with top teams,” senior Joseph Wabomnor said.

The boys play at home in the Kurland-Schnurr tournament tonight, Nov. 24 at 6:30 p.m. Make sure to come and support the boys!