Niles West Band to Play Sugar Bowl

Niles West’s marching band will be playing the 2016 Sugar Bowl in New Orleans at the Mercedes-Benz Superdome on Friday, Jan. 1 at 7:30 p.m.

Niles West’s band will be playing along with several others schools, and will start to learn the music in New Orleans.

“We had to submit an application with a resume and send a video. A lot of other schools are going and there will be about 600 other students. We’re going to learn the whole show when we get down there. We have rehearsal every morning and we’ll memorize the music and field formations once we’re there,” band director Justin Johnson said.

The ability to play music in New Orleans is an exciting prospect for members of the marching band.

“I’m excited to go to the Sugar Bowl because we’re going to the land of music. Music is my passion and I love everything about it and being able to the place that is most known for music is awesome. I’m also excited because being able to play with kids from around the world is going to be awesome,” sophomore Christopher Witt said.

Playing the Sugar Bowl is a once in a lifetime experience for the students.

“I am excited to preform at the sugar bowl because of how big SEC football is and it’s a once in a lifetime chance to play at a bowl game for many of the participating band members,” senior Erik Johnson said.