School Installs ATM for Student Use

Partnership Financial Credit Union has installed an ATM for student use on Tuesday, Jan. 12, 2016. It was installed outside the cafe next to the vending machines.

Because debit cards are increasing in popularity, students were trying to get into the teachers’ lounge in order to get cash.

“Over the years we have been discussing a student ATM. Nowadays debit cards are much more prevalent. A lot of students have also been trying to access the teachers’ lounge and try to get money, which I won’t allow,” assistant principal Mark Rigby said.

Some students believe that there are better places the money could have gone.

“Personally I think it’s a waste of money, but I’m not mad. I wish the school invested in a parking lot meter/machine where you can get a ticket and put it on your car so you don’t have to run in and out,” senior Vanessa Pelinkovic said.

Others believe it may cause them to buy more than they usually would.

“It’s kind of like they’re tricking us into getting something – if you don’t have cash but have your card you might force yourself to buy something. It’s just a waste of money,” said sophomore Shazad Ahmed

Although most students seem to be upset with the placement of an ATM, it was brought for their convenience according to Rigby.

“I like it because I don’t carry cash on me, only cards. This schools doesn’t take cards anywhere, only cash,” senior Carly Kenney said.

Many students are concerned about a fee being charged when using the machine, or the security of their PIN number.

“Welcome to the real word, we all have the same concerns about PIN numbers when we use ATMs. Students just have to be careful when they use it, and if they don’t want to use it, don’t use it. It’s not mandatory to use it, it’s there to be convenient. Also there are thousands of ATMs in the area and they all have fees, not just the one at West,” Rigby said.

Correction: Previously, we had stated that Niles West had purchased the ATM. The ATM was actually installed and placed free of charge by the Partnership Financial Credit Union.