Meet Me in a Minute: Nicole Zelazko

“My best was not even close to being good enough. Being younger and playing with and against girls with so much experience taught me how to quickly be able to adjust to a whole new playing style,” sophomore Nicole Zelazko said.

Growing up playing two sports is not only exciting but it makes a huge impact on anybody’s life. Zelazko has been playing basketball since she was nine years old and volleyball since she was eleven; she has been a varsity athlete since her freshman year. She knew trying out for a varsity sport would be a completely different experience but she was up for the challenge.

“Coming into my freshman year, I felt completely out of place. Not only did I lack skill wise, but I wasn’t used to constantly being around older girls; especially ones that have known and played together for years. Luckily, in both volleyball and basketball the girls were always willing to help me out and help me get to the level I was expected to be at,” Zelazko said.

As a freshman, Zelazko wasn’t sure what to expect because she had never played with older girls. As the seasons went on, she got more comfortable with her teammates and now it is safe to say that many of her teammates became her best friends.

Of course, it is not all about the friends you make; but having a good relationship with your teammates boosts up the amount of energy you have towards the sport. Doing something you love, with the people you love often ends with a positive result.

“Nicole always comes to practice in a good mood and always works hard. The effort she puts into the sport encourages others to do better,” teammate and senior Selma Sabovic said.

Sabovic has been playing with Nicole on varsity basketball for two years now. They have grown together as teammates and it has made a positive impact for both of them. Zelazko truly enjoys playing the sport but does not know whether or not she is going to continue with basketball.

“I consider being on two varsity sports as an underclassmen to be the most influential and important occurrence in my life. Not only has it changed me as an athlete, but it also changed the way I view my future. I have always wanted to pursue my volleyball career after high school. Basketball has been in my life since fourth grade but I do not see myself playing it in the long run. Volleyball was my first varsity sport and from that moment on, I’ve known that I want to try my best to take it to the next level. For now, I am focusing on having a positive mindset and trying to improve in all ways possible. Hopefully, I will be given the opportunity to continue playing the sport I love at the next level,” Zelazko said.

Although she loves basketball, Zelazko does not want to continue in college with two sports since it will be very overwhelming. Volleyball was the first varsity experience she had, and Zelazko believes that it will be easier to achieve her volleyball career.