Boys 2016 Track Preview

Boys pushing of the blocks to start off their run.

[youtube]https://youtu.be/3WJkXOwIHXE[/youtube]

The Boys Track team is just starting to warm-up to this years season. They just started practice Monday of last week. There’s a lot of great talent and need for some of the boys to step up.

“We’re pretty young right now. We have a lot of juniors, who if they step up and do well, it’ll be a successful season. If they don’t step up, it’s going to be hard for us to have a very good competitive team. The strength of our team right now is our juniors and we have good senior leadership, but we have a lot of guys who are going to score points for us that are juniors,” head coach Chris Vivone says.

The two senior captains this year are Atul Krishna for distance and Silvan Lupas for sprinters along with junior leader Matt Galanopoulas.

“We’re running a lot of milage, we’re doing a lot of hard workouts, we’re pushing ourselves everyday just to get ready for conference, sectionals, and to be the best we can be,” Krishna says about the distance team.

And while sprinters and distance practices aren’t identical, they share the same general goals this year: to work hard and get great results.

“Last year we had a couple injuries but this year but we’re hoping this year is going to be better,” Lupas said. “Two days out of the week we condition, and on the other days we do starts and a lot of explosive work.”

The coach’s approach to the team this season is also to get them to work hard towards their goals.

“We just gotta work hard, it’s as simple as that. We gotta put in the work in the weight room, on the track, whatever we’re doing, and that was my message to the guys. ‘Just make sure you’re doing everything as best you can, at the best of your ability’ and we need to get better as athletes, simple as that,” Vivone says.