Meet Me in a Minute International Week: Jahanzeb Khandwala

Editor’s Note: This is the fourth in a series of 10 stories in celebration of International Week.

While many people might be connected with their culture or contain some knowledge of it, no one is prouder or more involved in their culture than senior Jahanzeb Khanwala. Khanwala takes great pride in his heritage and does everything he can to stay connected to his family’s country Pakistan.

“My family is from Pakistan and we speak Urdu at home. I value our cultural language because it’s a piece of where you’re from. The only time I visited Pakistan was in 2008 and it was after 8 years ever since I came from there to the U.S,” Khanwala said.

Khanwala is Pakistani, but like many other cultures, there are different types of Pakistanis. Khanwala is specifically Memon.

“Our community consist of many people from all over Pakistan. Like all cultures, there are different types of Pakistanis. We are Memons and the Memon community in Chicago area is very big. So we usually have parties and special occasion celebrities as a whole. Parties usually consist of 500-600 people,” he said.

Memons take great pride in their culture and with that pride comes respect. Just like other cultures, Memons respect their elders immensely. Along with respecting their elders, Memon’s believe each and every person should be able to live by their values and morals and have the right to practice them. These beliefs tie in with Khanwala’s religion: Islam.

“My culture plays a big role in my life along with my religion. The main reasoning being is the elder in our house who teach us the values and expect us to pass them on like they were passed on too. We believe you should be able to live by your values and morals, whatever they be and you should have the right to do so,” Khanwala said.

Khanwala, ever since he moved to America has been able to keep his native culture a prominent part of his life, but he has also assimilated.

“Personally, I feel like I’m equally both because I have my cultural values but then I got exposed to the American culture as well and so I have bled the two together,” Khanwala said.

Although there is a lot of stigma around Pakistani and Muslim people, Khanwala doesn’t let that affect the way he lives his life despite many of the stereotypes begin false.

“There always many stereotypes regarding religion associated with culture. You don’t even have to be Muslim to be considered a “terrorist.” People get the appeal that if you’re from Pakistan you’re associated with ‘terrorism.’ I just want people to know that cultural differences aren’t ever bad. Everyone doesn’t have to like another culture. But everyone should learn to respect other cultures,” he said.