Principal’s Recognition Award: Angelyna Madrid

Editor’s Note: This is the last in a series of 19 stories about last semester’s Principal’s Recognition  Award winners who were recognized on Wednesday, Dec. 2 for outstanding achievement in specific programs. Freshman Angelyna Madrid received the World Languages Award and was nominated by Mr. David Malatesta.

Moving from Chicago and previously graduating with only thirty students from St. Bartholomew, transitioning into Niles West was difficult for freshman Angelyna Madrid. Unfamiliar with the new school and students, Madrid only knew a few students from joining volleyball and basketball camp in the summer. Although, once the school year starting rolling, Madrid soon got the feel of Niles West.

Madrid’s comfort with the school shows through her hard work and dedication to her schoolwork. Madrid was nominated for the Principal’s Recognition Award for World Languages by Spanish teacher, Mr. David Malatesta.

“It shows that all the hard work I have done has really been beneficial, and it also encourages me to continue to work at the best of my ability.  This award also pushes me to persist in being a better person, not only for myself, but for others as well,” Madrid said.

Winning this award as a freshman leaves Madrid feeling shocked and proud at the same time.

“I was amazed by the fact I have received the Principal’s Recognition Award because there are numerous students in the school, and I never expected that I would be chosen,” Madrid said.

Madrid’s hard work was recognized by her Spanish teacher, Mr. Malatesta.

“For her enthusiasm, her positive outlook, her intelligence, and the way she deals with other students- she’s very mature and her dealings with students who are not so mature so she brings a level of sophistication and understanding to the subject matter as well to the class that’s above and beyond the other students in her level,” Malatesta said.

Madrid enjoys studying the language of Spanish in Mr. Malatesta’s class.

“He explains the language very thoroughly making it easier to understand it. Even if you do not interpret what he is trying to teach, Señor Malatesta will help you until you fully get it. He is a wonderful teacher to rely on for anything,” Madrid said.

Madrid believes that learning about other cultures keeps her open minded. World language is important to Madrid because she can meet and interact with people of different races and cultures as well as opening up to more opportunities in life.

“It is also very fun to study a different language because you get to learn things that you have never even knew of.  When you are busy out of school with sports, learning another language can be difficult, but it is definitely worth it,” Madrid said. ‘

Previous installment in the Principal’s Recognition Award series

Mariam Al-Anaswah  –  https://www.nileswestnews.org/features/principals-recognition-award-mariam-al-anaswah/