West Remembers Amanda Vlamakis

West Remembers Amanda Vlamakis

When you ask friends and former teachers what they remember about senior Amanda Vlamakis, they talk about her genuine smile, drive to challenge herself, outgoing personality, and overall enthusiasm. They will mention times they witnessed her striving to better herself in school, moments where her friends experienced her contagious laugh, or mention her overall beauty.

Vlamakis, who died Friday, Feb. 26, in a Metra train accident, was known to put academics first, with great intellectual ability. She will be remembered for spending part of her time at Niles West as a member of the Debate team, with an immense love and interest for politics. Just last Thursday, Vlamakis volunteered at the Bernie Sanders rally.

“Her favorite person was Bernie Sanders and that was my favorite thing about her, how she was so passionate about politics and determined that Bernie would win the election. Amanda was the most intellegent person I knew. She was so open minded and I can assure you she was going to go places very far,” junior and close friend Delmon Peyto said.

A visitation is scheduled for today, Wednesday, March 2, from 3 to 9 p.m. at Haben Funeral Home & Crematory, located at 8057 Niles Center Rd., Skokie. Family and friends will meet for funeral mass, Thursday, March 3, at 10 a.m., at St. Sylvester Catholic Church, located at 2157 N. Humboldt Blvd., Chicago. Vlamakis’ cremation will be private.

The whole school is saddened by the tragedy of losing one of our own. Not only students, but teachers are mourning the loss of such a bright student.

“I taught Amanda in honors American Literature and Composition.  She was a bright, conscientious, intrinsically motivated student and one of the nicest people whom it has been my pleasure to teach,” English teacher Michael Conroy said. “Even after she was no longer in my class, she periodically would send me Internet memes and links to articles that related to the curriculum.  Just two weeks ago, she sent me an online article about the deluxe high rise condominiums that will replace the Cabrini Green public housing complex that we discussed in our reading of A Raisin in the Sun. ‘Thought this could be something to show to your classes when you discuss Cabrini Green,’ she wrote. ‘Gentrification at its finest.’ That’s the kind of kid she was.  The world is diminished by her passing.”

English teacher Sally Graham's AP Lit class visits Navy Pier to see the play, The Tempest . Vlamakis is pictured fourth from the right. Photo courtesy of Sally Graham
English teacher Sally Graham’s AP Lit class visits Navy Pier to see the play, The Tempest on . Vlamakis is pictured fourth from the right. Photo courtesy of Sally Graham

English teacher Sally Graham, who had Vlamakis last semester in AP Lit, remembered her zest for new experiences.

“My best memory of her this year was during our field trip to Navy Pier for The Tempest,” she said.  “Amanda’s enthusiasm and free spirit were contagious–she thoroughly enjoyed the magic in the performance and the leisure of the day.  I am so thankful to have a picture of our group.  Amanda is right in the middle, poised and showing her beautiful smile.  She had so much to offer and will be missed.”

Friends of Vlamakis said they will miss being driven by her enthusiastic personality in their lives.

“Amanda was admired for many things. Her work ethic, maturity, and  intelligence were far beyond of what you would expect for someone of her age,”classmate and friend, senior Mercedes Bajric said. “Her laugh, smile, and warm heart were so contagious and consoling. The words she spoke were important and so passionate. I, along with many others, will miss, but never forget, her beautiful heart, brain, and smile. I am forever thankful for the friendship we had.”

Senior and friend Ashley Trapp remembered Vlamakis’s sense of humor.

“She was beautiful, outgoing, smart and down to earth,” she said. “She was the type of girl who would cheer you up without even saying anything. [She] had the biggest heart! My favorite memory was when we would sit together at lunch and look up new things, be on snapchat, and look at funny Facebook videos. Her laugh alone would make me laugh! She was my best friend, my partner.”

A GoFundMe was started to raise money for the family regarding funeral/cremation services. If you would like to donate, click here.

For more information on memorial services for Vlamakis visit Haben Funeral Home’s website.