Meet Me in a Minute International: Anna Romero

Sixteen year-old Anna Romero came to Niles West on Saturday, March 5 through an exchange program organized by Niles North Spanish teachers to improve her English. She hails from Barcelona, Spain, but her desires are as simple as any sixteen year-old in America.

“Chicago is cool and very funny. The ambiance of the people, it’s very good. I saw the Sears tower, and I loved the ice cream. I like Oreo ice cream. I like all the ice creams. The food is delicious. The fast food is the best fast food in the world,” Romero said.

At her school, Jesús María I Josep, she follows the International Baccalaureate program, where she is on a science track. Her courses are solely science and math, while also taking the required language courses — English, Spanish, and Catalan.

“I want to study medicine or psychology. If I can, I would like to come to America for university. I came on this program to improve my English so if I go to school here, I can understand the professors,” Romero said.

Before science and math filled up her rigorous schedule, she had been a competitive swimmer within her community.

“I’m a swimmer. In my school, no. In my town, I’m in a swimming club. I’ve been swimming since I’ve been born. I swim competitively, but now I don’t compete because I have heart problems,” Romero said.

Romero has been staying with me for the past ten days, and has gotten the true Chicago experience. From street performers to art museums and drive-in hot dogs to cruising down Lake Shore Drive, she has been converted to the suburban lifestyle.

“I see myself here in five years– living here with a house and a garden. And a dog! I love dogs. When I live on my own, I’m going to have dogs,” Romero said.