Meet Me in a Minute: Hana Comor

We often go about life without taking notice of all the precious things around us, but for artists, such as junior Hana Comor, the beauty of all the things in life provide an inspiration. Comor is an artist, encouraged by her dad who introduced her to art when she was just five years old.

“He signed me up for a painting class when I was five. I remember we used to body paint, like finger painting, but with your body, and when my dad picked me up, I covered him with paint hugs,” Comor said.

Her art is inspired by the magic of nature she witnesses everyday.

“I see a lot of beautiful scenery and people in my life daily, and they inspire me a ton,” she said. “There is just so many unique things in life and I love trying to capture it in my own way. My latest obsession [is] trees.”

As art has become a big part of society, Comor hopes to keep it in her life to inspire her.

“If you asked me freshman or sophomore year, I would have laughed [at the idea of pursuing art long-term]. But now I see that art is a big part of society and there are a lot of opportunities out there for artists. Although I still don’t want to major in art, I definitely want to keep it in my life and let it continue to inspire my choices. I want to minor in art and, hopefully, do something with my life that does incorporate some type of artistic knowledge/skills,” she said.

We all have moments when we don’t want to stop working on what we’re doing. For Comor, that’s her favorite part of art.

“I, like most artists, fall into artistic ruts all the time but by far my favorite moment in art is when I’m working on a piece that inspires me and I don’t want to stop working. I could work on it all night and not get frustrated. Those moments are rare, but precious,” she said.

Comor’s friends definitely notice her dedication to art. Whether she’s constantly sketching or walking in the halls of West with paint covered arms, her dedication shines for all to see.

“I think that Hana is a very talented artist. If you take a look at her notebooks, you can see some of her awesome sketches. She’s also very dedicated to her art, as you could often see the paint or other material on her hands or clothes,” junior, and longtime friend, Weronika Jozwiak said. “She excels in all kinds of art as well: from abstract to animals to human beings. Last week, she carried in one of her art projects-a blue abstract piece-into my APUSH class and many people came to look at it and to ask her questions about it,” Jozwiak said.

Comor’s hard work isn’t just appreciated by her friends, but all of West as well.

“She is insanely hardworking. Like, anyone that knows her knows that she will put in all of her effort towards her art, her grades, even her volunteering work. So she always gets what she wants. Basically she works hard and it pays off really well,” junior Saba Shalwani said.

Her artwork grips people’s attention, inspiring everyone to see the world in a new light.

“Whenever I see Hana’s artwork, it absolutely takes my breath away. You can tell she really works hard on each and every one of her pieces. Seriously, the girl has talent,” junior Juveriya Ali said.

Stress is a part of life, and people have different ways of coping with it. Comor turns to art to help her with whatever life throws at her.

“Life can be really stressful. I use art as an outlet for my stress, and it brings me happiness. I hope my art has that effect on others,” she said.

Art is not only Comor’s way of being happy, but also a way to express herself.

“I think I use art to express myself without even knowing that I’m doing it,” she said. “Come to think of it, my mood is strongly reflected in my art. Especially with colors and intensity.”

Aside from her artistic abilities, her friends also notice how she’s not afraid of voicing her opinion.

“She is never afraid to voice her opinions. Whether on feminism, racism, or politics, she is the most powerful debater [and] doesn’t care what others think, something I think is really brave,” Shalwani said.