UNICEF Club Hosts West Water Week

World Water Week from Monday, Mar. 21 to Friday, Mar. 25, sponsored by UNICEF, raises awareness of the 8 million people that are without clean water around the world. This year, to help with the initiative, Niles West UNICEF club is presenting the Tap Project to the school.

“Were trying to let people know that this is an epidemic and there are easy ways to help provide clean water to those in need,” club sponsor Deanna Sortino said.

The Tap Project challenges students to put down their phones in order to help. For every five minutes spent without the use of your phone Giorgio Armani and S’well, the sponsors of this year’s event, will donate the monetary value of a day’s worth of water to a child in need.

“It’s a simple way to give back without having to donate money. We all think our phones are the most vital things that we own, when really, that’s not the case. Water is more vital and for many people in other countries they are not able to get clean water,” senior Tammy Wen said.

The previous Illinois record was set at 48 hrs and 5 minutes, but with 51 hours and counting of phone free life, senior Sean Lee is the new record holder.

“I took the challenge because I was asked to, but other students should get involved because the challenge helps people around the world get clean water,” Lee said.

If going upwards of 51 hours without your phone is too much for you, you have the opportunity to go without your phone for only 30 minutes during lunch on Thursday, Mar. 24. Along with the satisfaction of knowing you have given water to children in need, you will also receive a free baked good during UNICEF club’s upcoming bake sale.