Principal’s Recognition Award: Gillian DeLeon

Editor’s Note: This is the eleventh in a series of 18 stories about this semester’s Principal’s Recognition Award winners who were recognized on Wednesday, April 20 for outstanding achievement in specific programs. Senior Gillian DeLeon received the Social Studies Award and was nominated by Mr. Chris Schwarz and Mr. John Przekota.

Being recognized for your hard work in nothing less than exciting. Senior Gillian DeLeon‘s impressive leadership and dedication in her history class led her to be recognized for this semester’s Principal’s Recognition Awards for Social Studies.

“I have always been a history nerd. Every year I would try and find a way to get more than one history class into my schedule,” DeLeon said.

DeLeon’s love for history helped her discover what she wanted to pursue in life as a career.

“My involvement [in history] has inspired me to major in political science. Being in Mr. Eric Oddo‘s and Mrs. Dana Kanwisher‘s Law and ALCUSH classes has inspired me to attend law school after undergrad and one day become a lawyer,” DeLeon said.

DeLeon was selected for the principal’s recognition award by her World War II teacher, Mr. Chris Schwarz. Schwarz witnessed DeLeon’s efforts in helping a special needs student in their class which led her to be recognized for all of her hard work and dedication to the class.

“From the start of the second semester, she was willing to help with note taking and she also explained the information from the class in a way the student could understand. She was a big help to me and made the class run very smoothly,” Schwarz said.

DeLeon doesn’t view her act of kindness as an act of kindness. Rather she see’s it as just being human. Although, being recognized was pretty excited for DeLeon.

“I was surprised when I received the award. To me, I was just helping a fellow classmate. It was something I just naturally did. But it feels really good to be recognized,” DeLeon said.

DeLeon believes that history isn’t just a big deal to her own life, but it also affects everyone’s life.

“History is really important to me. I think everyone should know the history of our world and humanity, to not only learn from the mistakes we have made but to appreciate those who have made a difference,” DeLeon said.

Previous installment in the series:

Aimen Lateef – https://www.nileswestnews.org/features/principals-recognition-award-aimen-lateef/