Moment of Silence Not So Silent

Even though the Silent Reflection and Student Prayer Act was reinforced in District 219 schools at the beginning of second semester, it seems that not all teachers follow it.

The Act was passed in 2007 by the Illinois General Assembly. Later, in 2009, it was declared unconstitutional by U.S. District Judge Robert Gettleman. However, on Dec. 30, 2010, the ban was repealed and the law reinstated. The law declares that public schools should have a moment of silence at the beginning of the school day to offer a chance for “silent prayer or silent reflection.”

“Seeing as how we’re a public school, I think there’s no place for it in the school day,” a science teacher who teaches first period said.

It seems that other teachers agree, too.

“My first period teacher doesn’t do a moment of silence,” junior Patrick Melnick said. “I’m in an AP class, so it’s really hard to fit everything in anyway.”

However, it is mandatory for teachers to follow the moment of silence.

According to John Heintz, chief legal officer of District 219, the law is meant specifically for public schools.

“It’s to calm students at the beginning of the day so they can study,” Heintz said. As to the conflict about prayer during the moment of silence, he added, “It really only mentions [prayer] in the title and one other place.”

A few days before the second semester began, all teachers were sent an e-mail from the legal department of the district. In the e-mail, teachers were told to “begin the day with a moment of silence.”

There has been some uproar, though, as to the legality of this law.

“I think it’s unconstitutional,” said an applied sciences teacher, who does not teach first period. “I think it violates the part of the Constitution about the separation of church and state.”

There is also the matter of fitting the moment of silence into the beginning of the day.

“We don’t really have a moment of silence first period,” junior Sarah Nordin said. “I’m in ALCUSH, and you can’t cut much out of it.”

The science teacher agrees, but has his own method of complying with the law.

“When this first came out, I told students that they have the moment from when they walk through the door until they get to their desks to handle their moment of silence,” he said.

As for the teachers who don’t enforce the moment of silence, Heintz said, “It’s fairly easy to put into the school day…if it’s heard that [the law] is broken, then there would be reprimands.”

Though there are teachers who disagree with the law, there are still some who enforce it.

“It’s a time to reflect,” foreign language teacher Andrew Suarez said, who enforces the moment of silence in his first period class. “Students don’t take time to stop and think…reflecting on [one’s] own being is a life tool.”

Some, though, think that the timing of the moment of silence is inconvenient.

“It’s unfair with classes. They should find a better place for it,” Nordin said.

The issue, though, is that the law passed by the General Assembly is specific as to the time of day the moment of silence needs to be observed.

“It’s specifically at the start of the school day,” Heintz said. “There’s no latitude.”