Principal’s Recognition Award: Negin Motlagharani

Editor’s Note: This is the seventh in a series of 18 stories about this semester’s Principal’s Recognition Award winners who were recognized on Wednesday, April 20 for outstanding achievement in specific programs. Senior Negin Motlagharani received the Fine and Applied Arts ~ Theatre Award and was nominated by Mr. Andrew Sinclair.

If you were to walk into the black box theatre after school, you would find a girl zooming around places in her wheelchair, helping everyone she comes across. Whether it’s rehearsing lines or helping the backstage crew, senior Negin Motlagharani has become a crucial part of every Niles West Theatre production that has taken place.

Motlagharani was recognized for her dedication to every play that Niles West has put on at the Principal’s Recognition Award ceremony and no one else deserved this award more than her.

“I think I won this award because I showed perseverance and I didn’t allow my physical disability to interfere with what I love doing which is theatre. Instead, I exposed myself to every aspect of theatre by working in that area knowing full well that I have wonderful friends and adults in the theatre department who are willing to help me if I needed it,” she said.

With this award under her belt, Motlagharani is even more determined to pursue a career as a director despite what others may say about her choice in terms of security.

“I am beyond blessed to be able to win this award from a Department that I came to love over past four years of my high school career. This award has shown me that I can pursue my dream of becoming a director in the future and has ensured me that theatre is something I want to continue doing in the future,” Motlagharani said.

Motlagharani has her entire theatre crew to thank, especially theater director Mr. Andrew Sinclair who has supported Motlagharani every step of the way.

“This award means so much to me because it has shown me that if you are passionate about something and you give it your all your hard work doesn’t go unnoticed. Also, this award means so much to me because I received it from Mr. Sinclair who has been an influential person in creating my love for theatre,” she said.

Previous installment in the series:

Justyna Magiera – https://www.nileswestnews.org/features/principals-recognition-award-justyna-magiera/