Annual Artzapoolza To Be Held This Thursday

Senior Diana Martinez poses in the opening of the 2016 Orchesis show, “Amplified.” Photo by Emily Butera.

The annual Artzapalooza is a performance and showcase of all of the Fine Arts Department. It will begin with an open house taking place this Thursday starting at 6:30 p.m. in the art gallery, located above the main entrance lobby. During this time, appetizers will be served. Performances will begin at in the auditorium 7:30 p.m.

Niles West Thespians and Improv Troupe will be performing, as well as Niles West’s a cappella groups in the Robert L. Johnson Auditorium. Food will be provided by culinary arts students.

“Artzapoolza tries to collaborate as much as we can. Orchesis will be collaborating with the orchestra, early childhood classes will have a station for kids. National Arts Honors Society will try to have a portrait booth. All the Fine and Applied Arts teachers don’t really have an event where we all come together and collaborate and have our students collaborate so I think it’s a big thing that we do and you kind of just a get a taste of what the Fine and Applied Arts do and what our kids can do for free,” Visual Arts teacher Deanna Sortino said.

While students have collaborated with fellow music groups in assemblies and other events, other students that are in theatre and art classes stay within their category. However at Artzapoolza, they are given a chance to see other peers’ work and are excited to see what other types of artists do.

“Artzapoolza is a great time for other artists and different mediums to showcase their work just like an athlete in a game. It’s a great way to show our community what all the Fine Arts and Applied Arts have to offer,” junior AP Studio Art student Brendan O’Shaughnessy said.

Some of Niles West’s a cappella groups will also be performing some of their favorite and most memorable songs.

“Echo Effect is doing a collaboration with Auroris, a dance group from Niles North. We’re doing ‘Never Forget You’ and a surprise throwback song. Master’s Choir will be performing one of their top songs as well,” junior Echo Effect member Chester Beck said.

Artzapoolza is open for all ages and offers many oipportunities to entertain all for free.