Goodbye, Niles West

I remember the day so vividly. The day I walked into the building for the first time as an incoming freshman. It was a hot, sunny day and I had walked to school with my friend Tom. Before I left, my mom said something to me, “Chris, start making memories now, these four years will fly and before you know it, you’ll be wearing your cap and gown getting ready to cross the stage,” she said. “Mom, it’s my first day of school, I have a lot of time, relax,” I replied. Oh, how I wish I listened to her on that first day of school.

I’m sitting here with a week left of high school already wishing I could start over and do things differently, something that my parents didn’t want me to be feeling after high school. I understand every time they were hard on me and pushed me to my absolute limits. I regret all of the times I yelled at them for being “annoying,” but now I completely know why they did what they did.

I have made so many amazing friends along this journey. There were days were I was so stressed and I didn’t think I’d make it, but some of the closest people to me helped me realized that this will all benefit me in the long run.

All of high school was pretty rough for me, but senior year stands out as a time of struggle for me. I went through a lot of personal problems and it affected me greatly. At the same time though, if it weren’t for senior year, I wouldn’t have met the amazing people in the Niles West News, I wouldn’t have gone through moments that made me a better person, and I wouldn’t have met someone that is very dear to my heart. If you’re reading this, just know that you’re going to do big things and I can’t wait to see it. For four years, you’ve had my back and you’ve been there for me. I hope I’ve had as big of an impact on you as you’ve had on me. You’ve changed for me the better. Thank you and I love you very much, you goofball.

Niles West News was a place for me to really be myself. I never knew how bad I wanted to pursue journalism until I met someone who changed my view on the way I look at things, my journalism teacher: Ms. Evelyn Lauer.

Ms. Lauer, I want to thank you for taking me under your wing and making me better as a writer, as a colleague, and as an overall person. I’ll never forget the words that came out of the mouth of my counselor when I went to her to request to be in the Niles West News for second semester. “Ms. Lauer said she wants you as a part of her staff, she thinks you could really help them out and she seemed pretty determined to get you in there,” my counselor Joyce Van Alstin said. My eyes widened with surprise.

Ms. Lauer, you actually meant it when you said your students inspire you just as much as you inspire them. Hearing that made my day and I remember telling everyone right away because it was so exciting to hear that. There were some days when you were upset and we all acted like hooligans, but that’s why we appreciate you so much. You put us before yourself all the time and that’s something that means a lot. I know I wasn’t very emotional and I didn’t express many things to you, but just know how big of an impact you have on me. I don’t know what else to say other than thank you.

To my junior year English teacher, Mrs. Lia Sosa, you were a big reason why I joined the Niles West News. You were my stepping stone into becoming a better writer because you would give me feedback that I thought was harsh at the time, but became very helpful later on. For that, I thank you.

To my friends, there are too many of you to name, I know I haven’t been great to you guys, but you all have been the best friends I could ask for. You always made sure I was on the right path, even when things were not going well for me. I know all of us will remain friends for the rest of our lives, so this isn’t a goodbye, it’s the start of something great for all of us. I love you guys to death.

And last, but certainly not least, to my fellow Niles West News colleagues…where do I even start? You all took me in at the beginning of second semester during my last year of high school and I immediately felt like I belonged there. From the moment I joined, you guys treated me like family. I became so close with all of you guys right away and that’s honestly something I will cherish for the rest of my life. Ms. Rachel Gross, thank you for smiling at me in the halls and saying “hi”; you don’t understand how much that helped me throughout the day on some of the days where I didn’t feel well at all. Like I mentioned earlier, I’m not the type to show a lot of emotion, but each and everyone of you mean so much to me.

These four years have been the best years of my life. I’ve met some great people that I will remember for my entire lifetime. To the class of 2016, we’ve worked really hard and we’ve finally made it. It’s time to turn to the next chapter of our lives. We can make this next chapter whatever we want it to be. This is not the end, it’s only the beginning of something great.

Thank you for being my home for four years, Niles West. You will always be my home.