Seniors Meet with Counselors to Discuss Post-High School Plans

On Wed., Aug. 31 seniors will be meeting with school counselors during their English classes, with a special focus placed on their essay portion, of  college applications to receive hands on help from their teachers. Counselors will also discuss post-high school plans with seniors.

Whether seniors have started the application process or not, it is the time of year to apply to schools. Essays can end up being one of the most important things on the application, which is why many students try to get a head start on writing them. Extra help from teachers can make a crucial difference in an applicant’s essay.

Seniors said they often feel overwhelmed with the amount of deadlines approaching, so getting a head start and some extra help on their essay is very helpful.

“Applying for schools isn’t too stressful, however deadlines are approaching with each day that passes, so I’m glad I started early,” senior Lamija Memidzan said. “I am still brainstorming essay ideas. There are so many things to write about, so it’s difficult to choose one that will stand out to admissions officers.”

Starting the process early is essential to minimizing stress, according ot some seniors. Getting help can make the process and a second opinion makes the process much easier.

“I’ve only been working on my essay for about a week and a half because I kept procrastinating it. It was hard for me to choose a topic to write about,” senior Miles Plurad, who has just begun the application process, said. “In the coming weeks, I’m definitely going to seek help from teachers and friends.”

Teachers and Niles West’s college and career counselor, Daniel Gin, can offer seniors lots of tips when it comes to writing their essay.

“Focus on a short period of time, and what you the student learned from that situation.  Make it specific.  Don’t blame others on a shortcoming, but ask how affected the student and any growth from the opportunity,” Gin said.

Gin also stressed the importance the essay has as a part of the student’s complete application.

“This essay is being read by an admissions representative that will determine if the student is accepted or denied at the university where they are applying,” Gin said. “Therefore, it must be a well written essay that truly reflects the applicant’s character. The essay must be checked, edited, and re-written.”

Writing college essays takes a long time, and it is important to stay on top of things and get help. It can end up being a make or break factor when getting into schools, so seniors should make sure to take advantage of all available resources.

Starting the application process before the last minute turns out to be incredibly important, Gin reiterated.

“By starting the application early, admission representatives are not inundated with applications, and students may get a better and thorough evaluation,” Gin said. “Research has shown that if a student applies early, they have a better chance for admissions because they are a serious applicant.