The Bad News Bears

The Bad News Bears
MCT

The Chicago Bears are a curious case: they always seem to bring in talent to win, but that talent either under-performs, or is undercut by an injury. This year, they have less talent and will likely finish with a worse record than last year.

Every year since Jay Cutler was drafted (2009), Bears fans were hopeful that he could carry the team to the Super Bowl, since they made it in 2006 with Rex Grossman as their quarterback. Every year except 2010, they made the NFC championship game, and lost to the Green Bay Packers. There haven’t been any big playoff pushes, or even making the playoffs. Jay Cutler is still paid an insane amount of money considering what he has not produced.

Every year, Bears fans tell themselves that “next year will be different, there’s a new player and he’ll elevate our offense,” or “we have a new coach and he’s the key to putting all this together,” but this year will likely be just like every other year in the past, with that hopeful spirit being crushed.

One prediction is that the Bears will finish about 6-10 or 7-9 if no more injuries occur, and if rookies, such as Kevin White, can surpass expectations. Maybe this is the year we make it back to the playoffs, since the Lions have been around our level for the past five years, and the Vikings just lost their quarterback, Teddy Bridgewater, although they still have a very capable running back, Adrian Peterson. The Green Bay Packers are healthy and have a slimmed down Eddie Lacy, which they look as one of the league’s better teams.

I’m doubting that this is the year for the Bears, but I still plan to watch every game, hoping that John Fox, now in his second year with the Bears, can connect with everyone, strengthen the Bears’ defense, and create an offense that can score consistently.

With Matt Forte gone, who was a consistent 1,000 yard rusher and made up a lot of the yards receiving, it’s up to Jeremy Langford, drafted last year, to carry the rushing load. It’s up to the other receivers to increase their workload just for the Bears to match what they have done in previous seasons.

All in all, the Bears are in a bad spot, but not bad enough to come out as a top five pick, although it could be a challenge to make a playoff push.

Photo Credits via MCT Campus: Chicago Bears quarterback Jay Cutler (6) looks to make a pass under pressure during the first half of an NFL game between the Chicago Bears and the Kansas City Chiefs Saturday, Aug. 27, 2016 at Soldier Field inChicago. The Chiefs beat the Bears 23-7. (Anthony Souffle/Chicago Tribune/TNS)